What is Burnout?
Burnout is a state in which a person feels exhausted – emotionally, physically, and mentally. This is the state that won’t live you happy or experience happiness to the fullest. People suffering from burnout feel overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to do even routine things.
What Causes Burnout?
Excessive and prolonged stress causes burnout. And if it is not curbed on time, it may even lead to loss of interest and motivation in life to do things.
Negative effects of Burnout
- It reduces productivity and efficiency.
- People with burnout always feel a lack of energy and interest.
- People with burnout feel helpless, hopeless, exhausted, cynical, and resentful most of the time
- People with burnout hardly feel like doing anything.
- People with burnout lose their resistance to illnesses, they become vulnerable to diseases.
- Lastly, it affects their overall life and impacts their relationship, love life, family life, and professional life as well.
Actually, when a person suffers from burnout everything is on stake, from your personal life to family life, professional life to social life. Therefore, it becomes important that the problem is taken seriously at the initial stage and immediate measures are taken to curb it.
How to know that you are suffering from burnout!
Well, it is very easy to figure out whether or not you are suffering from burnout. However, it won’t happen overnight, it is in fact, a continuous process. Here are some common signs and symptoms of burnout, if you experience most of them on a constant basis, then it is burnout!
Signs at a physical level
- Feeling lack of energy, exhausted and tired most of the time
- Frequent illnesses
- Frequent headaches or muscle pain
- Not getting enough sleep or sleeping very late at night
- Eating too less or too much
Signs at the Emotional level
- Feeling low, helpless, and defeated
- Detachment, feeling alone in the world
- Negative outlook towards everything in life
- Loss of motivation
- Never satisfied with what you have or achieved
Signs at Behavioral level
- Staying isolated
- Not doing things responsibly
- Indulging into addiction, like drugs or alcohol
- Frustrated always
- Getting angry at even small things
- Misbehaving with others
- Blaming others for own mistakes
- Skipping work on a regular basis or not abiding by work rules
Well, if you feel any of these or most of these occasions, like once in a month or two months, then it’s not burnout. It is a sign that you need a break. However, if the feelings are constant or feel the same quite often, then surely you are on the road to burnout or already there. Do not take these signs casually, these may lead to some severe problems.
Also, do not confuse burnout with stress. As burnout and stress are absolutely different. Burnout is a result of continuous stress; however, stress is a state where one feels exhausted because of too much work pressure or any other pressure at an emotional or mental level. People with stress still manage to do routine things and find ways to de-stress themselves. But people with burnout lose interest in everything, they don’t even feel like coming off that mode.
Who can experience Burnout?
Burnout can be experienced by anyone, from a working individual to a housewife, a kid to an old person. We tend to overlook the signs at first, which is not wise. However, adult people are more prone to burnout. And the reason is simple – their routine. Usually, adults feel burnout when their work is not recognized; when they don’t get rewards for their work; are undervalued; overly demanding job; underpaid, etc. Kids, on the other hand, can experience burnout if they feel undervalued in school and at home also. If he/she is constantly bullied by friends or people around. Besides, an unhealthy lifestyle also adds to the symptoms of burnout.
How to deal with the situation
Understand that every problem comes with a solution. So, never lose hope. The first thing that you need to do to deal with the issue is – watch the red flags. Recognizing the signs of burnout and then accepting the reality is the first step towards victory. Don’t deny and don’t hide! FACE IT!
The second thing that you need to do to deal with the problem is – UNLEARN what you have learned so far! Yes, you will need to work inside out to bring all the positive changes and curb burnout.
Speak it out. There is no point in suppressing your feelings or hiding to tell people how you feel. In fact, speaking out is the best thing that you could do to yourself. You can talk to someone who you feel grounded with or you can seek professional help.
Spend time with friends and people who you feel good with. Join some group, club, or activity according to your interest. Like these days cycling groups, racing groups, etc. are very famous. You can join any of these according to your interests.
Do not overindulge in work or any activity which makes you feel exhausted. Taking breaks between the work, taking breaks rejuvenates you and energizes you to do more and better.
Stay away from Narcissists and Negative people at any cost.
Indulge yourself in some act of kindness. Act of kindness gives you happiness and a sense of achievement.
Take some break from gadgets and social media. Spend some time with your loved ones.
Find new friends if you feel you don’t have anyone to turn to. Trust, it’s never too late to build new friendships and expand your social network.
Declutter your mind, workspace, and your home. De-cluttering of mind creates space for good thoughts, de-cluttering of workspace and home give a sense of happiness.
Maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating healthy, doing exercise, thinking positively, giving up boozing and smoking, etc.
Last but not least, do not rush. Go slow and consistent!
What should you do when you experience burnout because of your work?
Today, most of us feel or experience burnout because of our work. The changing work culture and demanding jobs are the major reasons behind burnout. Well, if you really feel exhausted because of your job, then move out! Yes, you read it right! Most people will advise you to stick to your job and find ways to deal with burnout. However, it is not easy to stay in the same situation and fight with adversities. There will always be a chance of falling back again and again.
Therefore, it is essential that you leave the space that causes burnout. Remember that you have got this life to be happy. And the sole purpose of this life should be happiness. Happiness is a state that can only be achieved when you are actually happy from within. If you are not happy with your work, why should you kill yourself for that? Ask yourself this question!
Today, there are many online avenues to consider. Yes, go digital. Start your own online business, like affiliate marketing. Affiliate programs are a hot cake today. All you need is a computer or a laptop with a high-speed internet connection and you are set to start your business.
Starting an online business or adopting a digital lifestyle will help you have ease, comfort, lots of happiness and flexibility to earn.
Benefits of going digital
Going digital can be beneficial in a number of ways:
- Firstly, you will be your own boss. There will be no reporting to anybody else.
- You have the ease to work from anywhere, be it your home or your terrace or any other location for that matter.
- Online businesses are the easiest to start businesses. You do not need to have the immense technical knowledge to start your online business.
- You don’t need a huge fund to start an online business. You can start your online business with minimal capital, like $100 – $200.
- Initially, you will need to work hard, but later your business earns for you.
- Online businesses are easy to manage. For instance, if you become an affiliate marketer – once you have set up your sites and links across to the merchant, it is managed automatically. You will be able to make money from sales without putting in effort for months.
- Going digital will help you spend a lot of time with your loved ones and lead your life as you always wanted to.
- Going digital will help you deal with burnout and lead a happy, healthy, and fulfilling life that we all desire and aspire for!
You only need to make small changes in your personal life and professional life to deal with burnout. The moment you bring in those changes your life will start to change for good. One major change is to go digital. Whether you believe it or not, there is no dearth of work online. You can either start your full-time business or go digital for making additional income. Money also impacts your state of being! Go digital, enjoy all the benefits, expand your avenues, grow financially and have peace of mind and happiness!
Explore and you will know that everything is in abundance; from money to happiness! So, wait no more go digital and live abundantly in all the spheres of your life!